<< Home > << Explaining History
Fifteen minutes of 20th Century History for students and enthusiasts.
April 2017 Episodes:
- War and British National Identity in the 20th Century
- The development of British national identity in the 20th Century is intimately connected with conflict. War has provided a unifying force that has held together an inherently fissile union throughout the century.
- Stalin and the Soviet Bomb 1945-49
- Stalin and his chief henchman Lavrenti Beria poured resources from a devastated USSR into the creation of an atomic bomb from 1945 onwards. The development of the bomb rested on Soviet espionage and the ability of scientists to experiment and work without ideological controls.
- Bretton Woods 1944-1971
- In 1944 at Bretton Woods in the USA a new model of the world economy that would provide postwar stability and prosperity was devised. However, the compromises and plans of the USA meant that the system created a fatal flaw, leaving it to unravel by 1971.